2015 Tesla Model S P85D
Battery, Performance, and Drive options
- 85 kWh battery with all-wheel drive
- 90 kWh upgrade increases range 6%
- 253 miles range (EPA)
- 3.1 seconds 0-60 mph
- 2.8 seconds 0-60 mph with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
- 10.9 seconds ¼ mile with Ludicrous Speed and Range Upgrade
- 259 hp front motor power
- 503 hp rear motor power
- 713 lb-ft motor torque
- 155 mph top speed
All-Wheel Drive: Dual Motor
Dual Motor Model S is a categorical improvement on conventional all-wheel drive systems. With two motors, one in the front and one in the rear, Model S digitally and independently controls torque to the front and rear wheels. The result is unparalleled traction control in all conditions.
Conventional all-wheel drive cars employ complex mechanical linkages to distribute power from a single engine to all four wheels. This sacrifices efficiency in favor of all weather traction. In contrast, each Model S motor is lighter, smaller and more efficient than its rear wheel drive counterpart, providing both improved range and faster acceleration.
All-wheel drive is available as an option Model S 70D and Model S 85. Model S Performance comes standard with All-Wheel Drive Dual Motor, pairing the high performance rear motor with a high efficiency front motor to achieve supercar acceleration, from zero to 60 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds.
Autopilot combines a forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors with real time traffic updates to automatically drive Model S on the open road and in dense stop and go traffic. Changing lanes becomes as simple as a tap of the turn signal. When you arrive at your destination, Model S will both detect a parking spot and automatically park itself. Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes.
Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software version is 6.2, adding automatic emergency braking and blind spot warning.
Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall. Model S will even park itself in your garage at home.
With calendar syncing enabled, Model S checks current traffic conditions to determine how much time is needed to make your first meeting of the day. At the right time, it turns on the climate control and opens the garage door. On private property, Model S will even pull out of the garage and meet you at the curb.
Model S is designed from the ground up to be the safest car on the road, as proven by a 5-star rating in all categories of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash test. Much of its safety is owed to the unique electric drivetrain that sits beneath the car’s aluminum occupant cell in its own subframe. This unique positioning lowers the car’s center of gravity, which improves handling and minimizes rollover risk, and replaces the heavy engine block with impact absorbing boron steel rails.
Side impacts are met by aluminum pillars reinforced with steel rails to reduce intrusion, protecting occupants and the battery pack while improving roof stiffness. In the event of an accident, eight airbags protect front and rear occupants, and the battery system automatically disconnects the main power source. Should the worst happen, there is no safer car to be in than Model S.
Inspired by an endurance athlete
Tesla's design and engineering teams have gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure that air flows smoothly above, around and below Model S to reduce drag, which in turn maximizes battery range. The smart air suspension lowers the car's height at highway speeds to reduce its frontal area. Electronically controlled vents stay closed until sensors detect that cooling is necessary. The front bumper routes air uninterrupted beneath the battery's flat skidplate and past the rear diffuser. The result is a seven seat sedan with the stance of a coupe and supercar aerodynamics.
Tesla Model S P85D
Zero profile door handles
Model S door handles are a work of art. When a key is in close proximity, they automatically extend. When no longer in use, they retract into the body of the car, creating a seamless surface for air to pass over.
Hidden in plain sight
Scan the streamlined body panels and you'll discover that Model S lacks a fuel door. Approach the driver's side taillight with a charging connector and the hidden charge port automatically opens. The charging connector cannot be removed until Model S is unlocked.
Built around the driver
Model S is a driver's car. The cabin combines meticulous noise engineering with Tesla's uniquely quiet powertrain to obtain the sound dynamics of a recording studio. The gem of the interior is the 17 inch touchscreen, which is angled toward the driver and includes both day and night modes for better visibility without distraction. It puts rich content at your fingertips and provides mobile connectivity so you can easily find your destination, favorite song or a new restaurant.
The Model S 17 inch touchscreen controls most of the car's functions. Opening the all glass panoramic roof, customizing the automatic climate control, and changing the radio station all happen with a swipe or a touch. The touchscreen, digital instrument cluster, and steering wheel controls seamlessly integrate media, navigation, communications, cabin controls and vehicle data.
Model S Specifications
- Length 196.0"
- Wheelbase 116.5"
- Width 86.2"
- With mirrors folded 77.3"
- Track Front 65.4", Rear 66.9"
- Clearance 5.65"
- With air suspension 4.7" - 6.4"
- Head room Front 38.8", Rear 35.3"
- Leg room Front 42.7", Rear 35.4"
- Shoulder room Front 57.7", Rear 55.0"
- Hip room Front 55.0", Rear 54.7"
- Seating capacity 5 adults
- Total cargo volume 31.6 cu ft
- Rear cargo volume 26.3 cu ft
- With seats down 58.1 cu ft
- Front trunk cargo volume 5.3 cu ft
- Turning circle 37 ft
- Curb weight 4,647.3 lbs
- Weight distribution Front 48%, Rear 52%
- Lightweight aluminum body reinforced with high strength, boron steel elements
- UV and infrared blocking safety glass windshield
- Rain sensing, adjustable speed windshield wipers
- Frameless, tempered safety glass front windows
- Solar absorbing, laminated safety glass rear window with defroster
- Flush mounted door handles
- Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory
- 19" aluminum alloy wheels with all-season tires (Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/45R19)
- Aluminum roof
- Xenon headlights with automatic on/off
- LED daytime running lights
- Backlit side turn signals, front side marker lights and rear reflex lights
- LED rear taillights and high-mounted LED stop lamp
- Model S is an electric vehicle available in both rear wheel and all-wheel drive configurations. The liquid-cooled powertrain includes the battery and one or more motors, drive inverters and gear boxes.
- 70 kWh or 85 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery
- Three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor
- Drive inverter with variable frequency drive and regenerative braking system
Suspension, Steering, and Brakes
- Double wishbone, virtual steer axis coil spring front suspension and independent multi-link coil spring rear suspension
- Variable ratio, speed sensitive, rack and pinion electronic power steering
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control
- Anti-Lock disc brakes (ABS) with ventilated rotors and electronically actuated parking brake; front: 355 mm x 32 mm; rear: 365 mm x 28 mm
- 10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Dual Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)
- Peak charger efficiency of 92%
- 10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 120 V, 240 V, and J1772 adapters
- Twelve way, power adjustable, heated front seats with memory
- Hand wrapped microfiber and synthetic leather interior surfaces in black
- Piano black décor accents
- Center armrest with two cup holders
- Open center console storage area
- Metal interior door handles
- Electrochromatic mirrors
- 60/40 split fold-down second row seats
- 200 watt, seven speaker stereo system with AM/FM/HD radio. Supports MP3, AAC, and MP4 music formats. System includes four speakers, two tweeters and one center channel speaker.
- 17" capacitive touchscreen with media, communication, cabin, and vehicle controls
- Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and streaming music
- Three spoke, multi-function steering wheel with tactile controls
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- 4 year, 50,000 mile (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty
- 8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty
- Battery warranty covers damage from improper charging procedures and battery fire, even if the fire results from driver error
- Onboard maps and navigation with free updates for 7 years
- Mobile connectivity
- Keyless entry
- Driver profiles
- Driver seat detection sensor for start/stop functionality
- Cruise Control
- High definition backup camera
- Manual rear liftgate
- Power tilt and telescopic steering column
- Power windows featuring one-touch up and down with resistance reversing to protect against pinched fingers
- Micro-filter ventilation system with replaceable filters
- Front LED map lights and rear LED reading lights
- Front sun visors
- Front trunk and rear cargo area with keyless open
- 12 V power outlet
- Automatic climate control with dual zone temperature settings, air distribution controls and recirculation
- Glove compartment
- Wi-Fi ready
- Dual front USB ports for media and power
- Forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors
- Blind spot warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Lane departure warning
- Parking sensors
- Speed limit display
- Eight airbags: head, knee and pelvis airbags in the front plus two side curtain airbags
- Driver and front passenger seat sensors
- Driver seat position sensor
- Three point driver and front passenger safety belts with retractor pretensioners and secondary lap anchor pretensioners and load limiters
- Three point second row safety belts for all three seats
- Acoustic front row safety belt warning
- Rollover crash sensor
- Crash sensor for high voltage disconnect
- Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations (accommodates three child seats simultaneously: two with LATCH and one with top tether and belt)
- Rear door child safety locks
- Interior, manual release mechanism for all doors, front trunk, and rear cargo area
- Anti-theft alarm and immobilizer systemv
(Source: Tesla Motors)