2017 Mercedes-AMG E43 Sedan (US-Spec)

2017 Mercedes‑AMG E43 Sedan (US‑Spec)

By Arthur Demi via Caricos Editorial Staff

Quick Specs

Price $72,400

Power 396 hp

Torque 384 lb-ft

0-60 mph 4.5 sec.

2017 Mercedes-AMG E43 Sedan (US-Spec)

For 2017 model year Mercedes-AMG started offering entry-level performance models with "43" badges. In some cases, as with the C450, AMG 43's will replace non-AMG models and bring more identity to the cars.

Here is the list of AMG 43 models and those they will replace:

  • 2017 AMG SLC43 Roadster is all new
  • 2017 AMG C43 Sedan will replace C450 sedan
  • 2017 AMG C43 Coupe is all new
  • 2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet is all new
  • 2017 AMG E43 Sedan is all new
  • 2017 AMG GLC43 SUV is all new
  • 2017 AMG GLC43 Coupe is all new
  • 2017 AMG GLE43 SUV is all new
  • 2017 AMG GLE43 Coupe will replace GLE450 Coupe

AMG E43 Sedan Overview

Mercedes-AMG E43 Sedan
Engine AMG-enhanced 3.0L V6 biturbo
Displacement 2,996 cc
Output 396 hp @ 6100 rpm
Peak torque 384 lb-ft
Acceleration 0-60 mph 4.5 sec
Top speed 130 mph (electronically limited)

Engine

Engine
Number of cylinders/arrangement
Displacement                                          cc 2,996
Bore x stroke                                         mm 88.0 x 82.1
Rated output                                           hp 396 at 6,100 rpm
Rated torque                                         lb-ft 386 at 2,500-5,000 rpm
Compression ratio 10.7: 1

For E43, engineers at AMG has enhanced the output of 3.0-liter V6 engine with two large turbochargers, situated close to the engine. Thanks to the modified software the engine has gotten more responsive while lowering emissions and fuel consumption. Inner walls of cylinders are coated with Formula-1 technology, which along with the fuel injection system is taken straight from Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 race-cars.

Transmission

Driven wheels AMG Performance 4MATIC® all-wheel drive with rear- biased torque split 31:69 (f:r)
Transmission AMG-enhanced 9G-TRONIC 9-speed automatic
Gear ratios Final-drive
Ratio 3.07
1st gear 5.35
2nd gear 3.24
3rd gear 2.25
4th gear 1,64
5th gear 1.21
6th gear 1.00
7th gear 0.86
8th gear 0.72
9th gear 0.60
Reverse gear -4.80

With a 9-speed automatic transmission, which now has shorter shift times thanks to double clutch technology and is especially tuned for more aggressive driving, AMG E43 three driving modes: Sport, Sport+, and Manual. In Manual mode driver can change the gears through paddle shifters situated behind the steering wheel; engine will keep roaring until the needle reaches the red line.

Drivetrain

Mercedes-Benz signature 4MATIC all-wheel drive system has been tuned by AMG to deliver more power to E43's rear wheels to better handle over-steering. Rear wheels get 69 percent of the transferred power, while front wheels get remaining 31 percent.

Driving Characteristics

Total of 5 AMG DYNAMIC SELECT driving modes can be selected - Eco, Comfort, Sport, Sport+, and Individual - each of which tweak the way engine responds to driver's actions. In Eco mode the engine becomes less responsive in order to save on fuel consumption. In Manual mode, the driver has to change the gears through paddle shifters and can choose desired suspension set-up.

Sport and Sport+ modes cut the response lag to minimum, and put suspension on the stiffest mode. In Sport+ mode the running speed of the engine on idle is higher so that E43 can accelerate from standstill faster

Other Specifications

Mercedes-AMG E43 Sedan (US-Spec)

Suspension

Front axle AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension based on AIR BODY CONTROL with three-link axle, multi-chamber air bellows, twin-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, and adaptive adjustable damping
Rear axle AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension based on AIR BODY CONTROL with multi-link axle, multi-chamber air bellows, single-tube gas-filled shock absorbers, and adaptive adjustable damping
Braking system Hydraulic dual-circuit braking system with vacuum booster, stepped master brake cylinder; 14.2” disc brakes at front, vented and cross- drilled, four-piston aluminum fixed calipers; 14.2” vented and cross- drilled disc brakes at rear, single-piston aluminum floating calipers; electric parking brake, ABS, 3-stage ESP®
Steering Electromechanical speed-sensitive sports power steering with toothed rack, variable steering ratio (14.5:1 at dead center) and variable power assist
Wheels | Tires front: 8.0” x 19”; rear: 9.0” x 19” | front: 245/40 ZR19; rear: 275/35 ZR19

Dimensions and Weight

Wheelbase                                      in 115.7
Track, front/rear                             in 64.1/62.9
Overall length                                in 194.6
Overall width                                 in 73.2
Overall height                                in 57.0
Turning circle                                ft 41.3