2011 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG
Automobile enthusiasts with a sense of the spectacular have long held it in high regard – the Mercedes-Benz CL 65 AMG. This dream car with the powerful V12 engine and exquisite appointments is synonymous with exclusive performance and exclusive style. The same applies to the revised model which not only features a number of new visual highlights, but also boasts an increase in power from 450 kW (612 hp) to 463 kW (630 hp), as well as a reduction in both fuel consumption and emissions.
The AMG 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine in the CL 65 AMG is one of the most powerful series production engines ever built. The twelve-cylinder engine produces 463 kW (630 hp) from a displacement of 5980 cc, and a maxi-mum torque of 1000 Nm which remains constant between 2300 and 4300 rpm. The torque has been electronically limited to 1000 Nm from a possible 1200 Nm, to make allowances for the powertrain. The unrivalled superiority can be experienced over every single kilometre: the AMG V12 engine is character-ised by effortless power delivery in all engine speed ranges and an exciting engine sound, all coupled with supreme refinement. The exceptional power of the AMG twelve-cylinder engine is evident from the performance data: the CL 65 AMG accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 4.4 seconds, and achieves a top speed of 250 km/h (electronically limited).
AMG has made a number of additional detailed enhancements to the AMG 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine for the new CL 65 AMG. The engine experts at AMG achieved the increase in output from 450 kW (612 hp) to 463 kW (630 hp) thanks to new exhaust gas turbochargers. The inlet diameter of the compressor housing and also the exhaust gas ducts have been enlarged, and the resulting increase in air throughput, together with the new engine electronics, has re-sulted in an increase of 13 kW (28 hp). The maximum charge-air pressure is 1.5 bars.
Despite the increase in output, it has still been possible to reduce fuel consumption and exhaust emissions: the NEDC-combined fuel consumption of the CL 65 AMG is now 14.3 litres per 100 kilometres, which equates to a reduction of 0.2 litre per 100 km. The CO2 emissions of 334 grams per kilo-metre are 3.5 percent lower than those of the previous model (346 g/km).
The reduction in fuel consumption is achieved thanks to the new engine electronics as well as the generator management: the kinetic energy gener-ated during each drive phase of the engine and also when braking is used to charge the battery, and not just left to generate heat as would otherwise be the case. In all other operating areas, management of both the on-board electrical system and generator enables the generator to be maintained at a low voltage level.
New piston rings, a modified oil pump and use of a superior coating on the catalytic converters also contribute towards reducing raw exhaust emissions as part of the package of measures. As a result, the CL 65 AMG immediate-ly fulfils the current EU5 emissions standards as well as all of the require-ments of the US markets (LEV II standard, on-board diagnostics II and lambda sensor diagnostics).
Know-how from the world of motorsport also with the AMG biturbo V12 engine
Characteristic features of the AMG 6.0-litre V12 biturbo engine include AMG's extensive know-how from the world of motorsport applied to the engine's construction, and also the sophisticated air/water intercooler. It guarantees high power and torque output under all operating conditions, regardless of the outside temperature. Traditionally all engines are built by hand at Mercedes-AMG in Affalterbach – just as with the V12 engine.
In line with the exceptional 1000 Nm of torque, the CL 65 AMG comes with a systematically reinforced powertrain. Power transfer is handled by the AMG SPEEDSHIFT five-speed automatic transmission, which has three different drive modes.
Direct-Steer system, Torque Vectoring Brake and crosswind stabilisa-tion
As is the case with the CL 63 AMG, the twelve-cylinder top-of-the-range model also comes with the AMG sports suspension based on Active Body Control (ABC) with Torque Vectoring Brake, crosswind stabilisation and load-ing adjustment system. The characteristics of the AMG sports suspension can be changed by pressing the Sports button – for the driver, this translates into a noticeable reduction in the roll angle when cornering at speed, and also stiffer spring/damper tuning. The new Direct-Steer system with speed-sensitive power steering guarantees high levels of manoeuvrability and smooth control in all driving situations.
Reliable deceleration performance comes courtesy of the AMG high-performance braking system based on the ADAPTIVE BRAKE system. In-ternally ventilated, perforated composite brake discs all round, with a diame-ter of 390 and 365 millimetres respectively, are combined with double floating brake callipers (front) and sliding frame-type callipers (rear) for maximum deceleration.
New design with even higher status
The new CL 65 AMG now features an even more exclusive appearance than ever before. An enhanced status is guaranteed thanks to the swept-back front section with profiled bonnet, the enlarged, more angled radiator grille and the powerful headlamps. Included as standard is the Intelligent Light System (ILS) with bi-xenon headlamps, active light function, Adaptive Highbeam Assist and AMG-specific LED daytime driving lights in the front apron. The upsized, chrome-trimmed cooling-air intake adorns a distinctive horizontal grille slat. The newly designed AMG bodystyling is easily recognisable thanks to the distinctive V-shape and the lower cross strut, which on the CL 65 AMG has an exclu-sive chrome-look finish. This is matched by the AMG rear apron which boasts a diffuser insert which is also finished in chrome. Also new are the taillamps with one-piece red-coloured cover plates and the reversing headlamps placed next to the licence plate recess. Another visual highlight comes in the form of the AMG sports exhaust system with two chrome twin tailpipes fea-turing a V12 design.
When viewing the vehicle from the side, enthusiasts will discover not only the "V12 BITURBO" lettering on the mudguards, but also AMG double-spoke forged wheels, painted titanium grey and with a high-sheen finish. The wheels are fitted with 255/35 R 20 tyres at the front, and 275/35 R 20 tyres at the rear.
Exclusive PASSION leather upholstery with an AMG V12 diamond pat-tern design
The exclusive position held by the CL 65 AMG within the AMG model range is also highlighted by the vehicle's exquisite and perfectly finished interior appointments: the Exclusive PASSION nappa leather upholstery with its distinctive AMG V12 diamond pattern design covers all four seats as well as the door centre panels. Nappa leather also covers not only the entire instru-ment panel and seatback panels, but also the magazine pockets and the parcel shelf. In addition, Alcantara® is used on the roof lining and also on the A and C-pillars. The AMG sports seats, which can be adjusted into many dif-ferent positions, feature their own seat upholstery layout as well as active ventilation and heating, and also come with the Seat Comfort package: it includes active multicontour front seats with massage and dynamic functions, and also NECK-PRO luxury head restraints. Also fitted as standard on the front seats is the PRE-SAFE® positioning function.
New additions in the interior include the AMG sports steering wheel with sil-ver-coloured aluminium shift paddles and perforated nappa leather in the grip area. The latest information and entertainment comes courtesy of the standard COMAND APS multimedia system including Harman Kardon® Logic 7® sur-round sound system with SPLITVIEW – which divides the screen into differ-ent displays based on viewing angle.
The AMG instrument cluster displays the expressive "AMG V12 BITURBO" start screen and a 360-km/h speedometer scale. Integrated into the AMG main menu is a gear indicator including upshift recommendation, and the driver is also kept informed about engine oil and coolant temperatures. Thanks to the RACE-TIMER, lap times can be displayed, such as when on a race track for ex-ample. A particular highlight of the interior is the exclusive analogue clock with IWC design. High-gloss poplar wood trim elements, reserved exclusive-ly for the V12 models, complete the interior look.
The extensive standard specification also includes (selection):
- Ambient lighting, adjustable in three colours
- AMG door entry sills
- AMG floor mats
- AMG sports pedal cluster
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- Anti-Theft Protection package
- Convenience telephony
- LED Light package incl. Intelligent Light System (ILS)
- Media interface
- Electrically operated blind for rear window
- Reversing camera
Wide range of attractive optional extras
As is the case for the CL 63 AMG, Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist are also available for the CL 65 AMG as new optional ex-tras. In addition, the V12 Coupé can also be enhanced further with items from the AMG Performance Studio:
- AMG double-spoke forged wheels, painted in black with a mirror finish and fitted with 255/35 R 20 (front) and 275/35 R 20 (rear) tyres
- AMG Exterior Carbon package
- AMG performance steering wheel in leather/Alcantara®
- AMG carbon-fibre interior trim elements
Additional individualisation options are available courtesy of the wide range of designo products comprising exclusive paint finishes, leather upholstery, trim elements, steering wheels and other extras – as well as the designo Selec-tion, a very special high-end equipment package.
The CL 65 AMG will have a sales price of 191,450 euros (excl. VAT)/227,825 euros (incl. 19% VAT).
- COMAND system w/ 40GB hard-drive GPS navigation
- Bluetooth interface for hands-free calling
- Voice control for audio, telephone and navigation
- 11-speaker harman/kardon LOGIC7® surround-sound system with Dolby Digital 5.1 with HD Radio® ,SIRIUS® satellite radio, & media interface
- Central controller with 8" COMAND display
- Power tilt/sliding sunroof
- Rear window sunshade
- Bi-Xenon headlamps with active curve illumination and cornering lights
- Electronic trunk closer
- PARKTRONIC with Parking Guidance
- DISTRONIC PLUS with Parking Guidance and Active Blind Spot Assist
- Rear view camera
- Night View Assist PLUS w/pedestrian detection
- AMG exclusive leather interior with V12-design diamond cross-stitching
- AMG performance steering wheel with aluminum shift paddles
- AMG instrument cluster with RACETIMER
- AMG 14-way power heated and active ventilated front seats with adjustable lumbar support and memory
- Drive-dynamic multicontour front seats with 4-level massage
- 8-way power heated and active ventilated rear seats
- Interior ambient lighting feature
- 621 Horsepower @ 4,800 RPM
- 738 lb-ft of Torque @ 2,000 - 4,000 RPM
- Acceleration: 0-60 mph: 4.2 sec.
- Top speed: 186 mph (electronically limited)
- AMG SPEEDSHIFT 5-speed transmission with Sport, Comfort and Manual shift modes
- AMG-specific power-assisted speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering
- AMG-calibrated Active Body Control (ABC) suspension
- Front: AMG-calibrated 4-link independent with antilift control and stabilizer bar
- Rear: AMG-calibrated multilink independent with antisquat and antidive system
- AMG high-performance two-piece braking system
- Front: Internally ventilated and cross-drilled 15.4" discs with dual sliding calipers
- Rear: Internally ventilated and cross-drilled 14.4" discs with sliding calipers
- 20" AMG twin 5-spoke forged alloy wheels
- 255/35 ZR20 (front), 275/35 ZR20 (rear) high-performance tires
- AMG sport exhaust system with V12-design dual twin chrome tailpipes
- AMG aerodynamic sport styling
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
- New vehicle 4-year/50,000 mile warranty
- Mercedes-Benz mbrace™ emergency calling and convenience system
- Mercedes-Benz maintenance system
- 24-hour roadside assistance program
- Steel-reinforced cabin with front & rear crumple zones
- 3-point seatbelts with pre-tensioners and force limiters
- ISOFIX anchor and tether system for child seats
- Adaptive dual stage front airbags including driver knee airbag
- Side airbags mounted in front and rear
- Full-length head protection curtain
- NECK-PRO active head restraints
- 4-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock and Brake Assist
- AMG 2-stage Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
- PRE-SAFE® (predictive occupant protection system)
- Roll-over sensor
- Anti-theft alarm with engine immobilizer
- Night security illumination
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Panic button remote key
- Emergency trunk release inside cargo area
Stand Alone Options
- SPLITVIEW Dual-content viewscreen
- Carbon Fiber Trim
Black, Magnetite Black, Jade Green, Capri Blue, Flint Grey, Barolo Red, Iridium Silver, Palladium Silver, Diamond White
Black Exclusive Leather, Savanna/Cashmere Exclusive Leather, Ash/Grey Exclusive Leather, Sahara Beige/Black Premium Leather