The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo
- BMW is once again defining a brand-new segment in the automobile market. The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines elegance, space, comfort and variability in truly unique style. As an attractive, future-oriented extension of the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is quite unparalleled worldwide in the upper middle segment, combining the characteristic features of a prestige saloon, a modern, highly versatile Sports Activity Vehicle, and a classic Gran Turismo in brand-new, unprecedented style.
- Through its body design, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines the proportions so typical of a BMW, an elegantly stretched silhouette and a coupé-like roofline, as well as four doors with frameless windows to create one complete, harmonious unit. The front view of the car animates powerful dynamism through the sheer presence of the upright BMW kidney grille, large air intakes and dual round headlights slanted back at an attractive angle. For the first time the daytime driving light function is provided by corona rings with LED technology. Boasting clear-cut horizontal lines, the rear end comes with that characteristic look of width, power and muscle further enhanced by L-shaped rear light clusters with homogenously illuminated rows of lights in LED technology.
- The luxurious and, for a car with this kind of coupé-like silhouette, surprisingly generous and variable interior gives both the driver and passengers a spontaneous feeling of comfort and well-being. This superior feeling is further enhanced by comfortable entry to the car, the slightly elevated seating position, the large window areas, the optional panorama glass roof, as well as exquisite materials and supreme quality of finish.
- Flexibly adjustable, the interior of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo enables the driver and passengers to vary the generous space inside the car as they wish to their individual, personal requirements. In their standard position, the rear seats offer the passengers the same kind of legroom as in the BMW 7 Series combined with the same headroom as in the BMW X5. In this configuration, luggage capacity is already an ample 440 litres or 15.4 cu ft. Thanks to the partition behind the rear seats, the passenger and luggage compartments are separated acoustically and in terms of climate conditions from one another like in a saloon. When required, the rear seats may be moved individually to the front by up to 100 millimetres or almost 4", with legroom still remaining the same as in the BMW 5 Series Saloon and an increase in luggage capacity to 590 litres or 20.7 cu ft. And after folding down the rear-seat backrests together with the partition, finally, luggage space increases to its maximum capacity of 1,700 litres or 59.5 cu ft.
- Offering unique functionality, the two-piece tailgate on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo provides exceptional variability and maximum comfort in loading the luggage compartment. Opening the small, sedan-like luggage compartment lid beneath the rear window, with the tailgate as such remaining closed, the driver and passengers are able to conveniently load the rear compartment without causing any unpleasant noise, draughts or changes in temperature within the passenger compartment. To load large and bulky objects, on the other hand, all they have to do is open the large tailgate for maximum convenience.
- The sheer space and the inspiring, modern design of the interior team up to provide a truly luxurious ambience and the supreme long-distance comfort of a modern Gran Turismo. The sleek surfaces on the front and rear door panels merging smoothly into one another as well as the horizontal arrangement of the instrument panel enhance the impression of supreme generosity. Seat comfort, headroom and elbow freedom are all of the highest standard otherwise to be found only in the luxury performance class. The slightly elevated seating position, the clear, structured arrangement of the controls, BMW’s new iDrive with its Control Display up to 10.2 inches in size, and the cockpit in Black Panel technology all help to give the driver maximum supremacy at all times. The rear seats may be adjusted individually fore-and-aft and also come with individual adjustment of the backrest angle. To meet the greatest demands in terms of individual luxury, finally, two individual comfort seats at the rear are available as an option.
- The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is entering the market with a choice of no less than three ultra-modern drive units carrying over BMW ¬EfficientDynamics into a new segment in the automobile world. The BMW 530d Gran Turismo offers a truly unique, unparalleled balance of driving experience and fuel economy with average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of just 6.5 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 43.5 mpg imp, and a CO2 rating of 173 g/km. The two gasoline models also set new standards for efficiency in their respective engine class.
- As a world-first achievement introducing a new and even more efficient range of engines, the BMW 535i Gran Turismo comes with the first straight-six gasoline engine featuring TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC and developing maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp. The top engine in the range, finally, is the V8 TwinPower Turbo delivering maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo. The BMW 530d Gran Turismo, in turn, comes with a 180 kW/245 hp straight-six diesel of the latest generation with an all-aluminium crankcase and common-rail direct fuel injection. All engines naturally fulfil the EU5 emission standard.
- All model variants come as standard with the eight-speed automatic transmission previously to be admired only in the BMW 760i twelve-cylinder luxury saloon. Featuring an innovative configuration of gearsets, a unique level of internal efficiency, and the same low weight and compact dimensions as a six-speed automatic transmission, this high-tech automatic combines gearshift comfort, dynamic performance, and motoring efficiency of the highest calibre. The most advanced engine technology, the innovative eight-speed automatic transmission, and a wide range of unique technologies in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics allow the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo to set new standards also in terms of economy and emission management.
- The modern, demanding suspension technology of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is designed for both fascinating driving dynamics and supreme grand touring comfort. The double track control arm front axle and the Integral-V rear axle exclusive to BMW are made largely of aluminium. Standard features also include rear axle air suspension as well as hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with a steering servo pump operating on demand. Integral Active Steering is available as an option, combining active steering of the front wheels with rear-wheel steering varying according to driving conditions and current requirements.
- Featured as standard, Dynamic Drive Control influences not only the gearshift dynamics, but also the gas pedal and steering assistance control map. In combination with optional Adaptive Drive, the dampers with infinite variation on both the inbound and rebound stroke contribute to the superior suspension function. In addition to the NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ programs, the driver also has the choice of the COMFORT mode available directly from the Dynamic Drive Control button on the centre console. A further point is that intervention in DSC Dynamic Stability Control is reduced in the SPORT+ setting and in the traction mode.
- The optimised body structure in conjunction with appropriately coordinated and electronically masterminded passive safety systems ensures maximum occupant safety at all times. These systems include three-point inertia-reel seat belts on all seats, frontal and side airbags as well as head airbags at the side, crash-activated headrests at the front, runflat tyres and a tyre defect indicator. The standard features include foglamps and adaptive brake lights, with bi-xenon dual headlights including a daytime driving light function as well as Adaptive Headlights with variable light distribution and Bending Lights all coming as an option.
- The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is also available as an option with the complete range of features from BMW ConnectedDrive, including Cruise Control with Stop & Go, a High-Beam Assistant, Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info, BMW Night Vision with detection of individual persons, Side View, Top View, and a back-up camera. Over and above these outstanding features, BMW ConnectedDrive also offers BMW Online, BMW Assist, BMW TeleServices, as well as an Enhanced Emergency Call function automatically determining and reporting the current location of the car.
- The wide range of standard features offered by the BMW 5 Series Gran ¬Turismo includes automatic air conditioning, an audio system, an AUX-In connector bush, and the Integrated Owner’s Manual. Optional features include four-zone automatic air conditioning (standard in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo), telecommunication and navigation systems, a USB port, an 80 GB hard disc for navigation data and the user’s private music collection, a multi-channel audio system, a DAB double tuner, a DVD entertainment system at the rear, a Head-Up Display, a panorama glass roof optimised for noise control and attractive design, as well as an electrically swivelling trailer hook.
- BMW 535i Gran Turismo:
- Straight-six gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC
- Capacity: 2,979 cc
- max output: 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm
- max torque: 400 Nm/295 lb-ft from 1,200–5,000 rpm
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 6.3 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
- Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 8.9 Liter/100 kilometres
- equal to 31.7 mpg imp
- CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 209 g/km
- emission standard: EU5
- BMW 550i Gran Turismo:
- V8 gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo and High Precision Injection
- Capacity: 4, 395 cc
- max output: 300 kW/407 hp from 5, 500–6,400 rpm
- max torque: 600 Nm/442 lb-ft from 1,750–4,500 rpm
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 5.5 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
- Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 11.2 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 25.2 mpg imp
- CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 263 g/km
- emission standard: EU5
- BMW 530d Gran Turismo:
- straight-six diesel engine with aluminium crankcase and third-generation common-rail direct fuel injection (piezo-injectors)
- max injection pressure: 1,800 bar
- Capacity: 2,993 cc
- max output: 180 kW/245 hp at 4,000 rpm
- max torque: 540 Nm/398 lb-ft from 1,750–3,000 rpm
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 6.9 seconds
- Top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph)
- Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 6.5 litres/100 kilometres
- equal to 43.5 mpg imp
- CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 173 g/km
- emission standard: EU5
Creating a New Dimension: The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo
Establishing an unprecedented, absolutely innovative car concept, BMW is ¬setting fascinating new highlights in the upper midrange segment. As the world’s first model in a brand-new segment, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines essential features of a prestige saloon, a modern Sports Activity Vehicle, and a classic Gran Turismo.
Stylish and elegant in design, this unique four-seater comes with a coupé-like, stretched and sleek roofline and a two-piece tailgate. The extra-large interior offers luxurious comfort, a slightly elevated seating position for comfortable and convenient access as well as superior all-round visibility covering all traffic conditions, and truly impressive variability.
As its name alone indicates, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is ideally suited for a truly wonderful travel experience. The luxurious ambience immediately makes the driver and passengers feel at home, legroom at the rear is the same as in the BMW 7 Series, headroom is equal to that of the BMW X5. The tilt angle of the rear-seat backrests, in turn, adjusts individually to the respective, personal requirements of the passengers. And with the rear seats moving fore-and-aft up to 100 millimetres or almost 4", together with the backrests tilting forward completely if required, luggage capacity may be enlarged up to 1,700 litres or 59.5 cu ft.
Engines both powerful and efficient, Dynamic Drive Control featured as standard, the most advanced suspension technology, and innovative driver assistance systems, help to ensure a truly unique driving experience.
BMW EfficientDynamics entering a new segment.
The drivetrain technology featured on the new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo likewise comes with a wide range of innovations, the benefits provided by BMW EfficentDynamics now introduced in yet another car segment providing a uniquely good balance of superior performance and supreme fuel economy.
A further highly significant point is the introduction of a new straight-six power unit in the BMW 535i Gran Turismo, for the first time combining turbocharger technology, High Precision Injection, and BMW’s fully variable VALVETRONIC valve management. Displacing 3.0 litres, the BMW TwinPower Turbo delivers 225 kW/306 hp at an engine speed of 5,800 rpm, with an equally outstanding, spontaneous and direct response as well as peak torque kept consistently at 400 Newton-metres/295 lb-ft from 1,200–5,000 rpm.
The top-of-the-range power unit is the V8 TwinPower Turbo with High ¬Precision Injection in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo, developing maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp between 5,500 and 6,400 rpm.
The BMW 530d Gran Turismo, to round off the range, offers particular highlights in terms of all-round economy. Its latest-generation 3.0-litre straight-six diesel comes with an all-aluminium crankcase as well as common-rail direct fuel injection with piezo-injectors, delivers 180 kW/245 hp at 4,000 rpm, and gives the car average fuel consumption in the combined EU cycle of just 6.5 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 43.5 mpg imp), as well as a CO2 emission rating of just 173 grams per kilometre, both figures absolutely unique for a vehicle of this size and calibre.
All engines naturally fulfil the EU5 emission standard. In addition, all variants of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo come with an innovative eight-speed automatic transmission combining an extremely quick gearshift with maximum efficiency.
Through its wide range of qualities, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo meets all the demands of a modern target group looking for a vehicle providing perfect harmony in meeting all kinds of requirements and demands in life – both as a prestigious and elegant company car and as an active leisure-time vehicle.
Introducing this kind of concept, BMW is therefore once again proving the Company’s ability to define brand-new vehicle segments in the market, with the new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo making a powerful entry into the world of motoring as a completely new dimension. This new, unprecedented and unparalleled car adds a further facet to the world of Sheer Driving Pleasure, arousing new enthusiasm for the BMW brand also with additional target groups.
Design: versatile sportiness, stylish elegance.
In its exterior design, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo offers a unique combi¬nation of versatile sportiness and stylish elegance. Proportions typical of BMW, four doors with frameless windows and a coupé-like stretched roofline all come together in perfect harmony authentically reflecting the many qualities of the car.
The front view is characterised first and foremost by the strong presence of the low-slung BMW kidney grille, the large air intakes and the characteristic dual round headlights. The BMW kidney grille itself is slanted slightly to the front, its upper edge forming the foremost point on the body. The dual round headlights likewise slanted at an angle and extending far into the side panels merge at the top into a matt trim cover, thus generating the clearly focused look so typical of the BMW brand.
Characteristic: daytime driving lights and rear light clusters in LED technology.
Apart from the direction indicators, the corona rings on the headlights come for the first time with LED light units. In standard trim the light rings serve as the car’s positioning lights, while in combination with optional xenon headlights their LED units may be operated in two stages: Dimmed to approximately 10 per cent of their full power, the LED light units serve as positioning lights. Operated at full power, on the other hand, they act as daytime driving lights in a particularly brilliant white again in that typical BMW look.
Boasting a roofline dropping slowly but consistently towards the rear of the car and merging into a spoiler at the back, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo successfully and very attractively conveys a feature typical of a coupé to a four-door car. The doors both front and rear come with frameless side windows.
A further feature immediately recognisable from the side is the waistline at the level of the door openers characteristic of BMW, extending from the outer edge of the headlights, rising slightly along the entire length of the car, and continuing all the way to the contours of the rear light clusters.
The two outer rooflines as well as the shoulder lines come together in the airflow spoiler on the tailgate, giving the fastback-like rear end an almost compact look. Otherwise, horizontal lines dominate the rear view of the car, with the look of power and muscle being further underlined by the wheel arches flared far to the outside.
The rear light clusters merge far into the side panels, ensuring that the full width of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo also comes out clearly in the car’s night design. Rows of lights fed by LED light units provide a homogenous light pattern, again giving the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo a distinctive look on the road and making sure that the car is always clearly recognisable.
The interior: generous space and comfort, individual luxury.
The unique feeling of space within the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is enhanced by the shape and design of the interior features, the interior colour scheme, and the choice of materials. The dashboard is subdivided horizontally and comes with a cockpit featuring Black Panel technology and a Control Display for BMW iDrive measuring up to 10.2" in size.
Apart from the electronic gear selector lever, the switches for Dynamic Drive Control as well as the iDrive Controller are arranged conveniently on the centre console.
Both the driver and front passenger benefit from their slightly elevated seating position, this so-called semi-command position allowing very comfortable and ergonomically ideal entry to the car and providing an optimised overview of traffic conditions in the area.
The impression of a self-contained space surrounding – or, even more appropriately, cocooning – the car’s occupants is further enhanced by the harmonious shapes and colours of the panels on the front and rear doors. The interplay of ascending and descending lines and contours throughout the entire length of the interior creates a homogenous picture forming an optimum link connecting the front and rear seats.
As an alternative to the rear-seat bench for three passengers featured as standard, with individual adjustment of seat four-and-aft position as well as the backrest angle on all seats, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is available as an option with two single seats at the rear, in which case fore-and-aft adjustment of the seat position as well as the backrest angle, the upper section of the backrest and the height of the headrest is all-electric. And as yet a further highlight, ambience illumination of the interior of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo featured as standard may be supplemented by additional light sources.
Even greater comfort when loading: two-piece tailgate and partition between the passenger and the luggage compartments.
The two-piece tailgate featured for the first time on a BMW ensures maximum comfort and variability when loading. The two sections offer the choice of a small opening beneath the rear window and a large lid like on BMW’s X models.
Both sections may be opened and closed individually, with the large tailgate featuring Soft Close Automatic.
The unique partition between the passenger compartment and the luggage compartment ensures unrestricted comfort also while loading. Whenever, with the partition closed, the driver and passengers open only the lower section of the tailgate, the passenger compartment will not be affected in any way while loading by draughts or other effects of weather, or by any noise or acoustic annoyance.
As long as the rear seats and the partition are in their standard position, luggage compartment capacity is 440 litres or 15.4 cu ft. Moving the seats forward and unfastening the partition increases luggage capacity to 590 litres or 20.7 cu ft. And when folding down the rear-seat backrests as well as the partition, the driver and passengers benefit from no less than 1,700 litres or 59.5 cu ft.
New straight-six power unit: first-ever combination of turbocharging and VALVETRONIC.
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is entering the market with a choice of two gasoline engines and one diesel power unit. A particular highlight in this context is the newly developed straight-six gasoline engine now making its debut and for the first time combining turbocharger technology, High Precision Injection, and variable VALVETRONIC valve management all in one. This unique combination gives the new BMW TwinPower Turbo an extremely spontaneous and direct response to the gas pedal, exceeding even the excellent response already offered by BMW’s existing straight-six turbocharged engine.
This truly impressive response is the result of VALVETRONIC technology optimised once again as well as the turbocharger system applying the twin scroll principle to separate the ducts of three cylinders at a time both in the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger.
BMW’s High Precision Injection has also been enhanced to an even higher standard of direct fuel injection technology. Now HPI features new injection nozzles precisely dosing the supply of fuel and operating at a pressure of up to 200 bar in the combustion chambers.
Displacing 3.0 litres, the new six-cylinder develops maximum output of 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm, with peak torque of 400 Newton-metres/295 lb-ft available all the way from 1,200–5,000 rpm.
Benefitting from this kind of power, the BMW 535i Gran Turismo accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in just 6.3 seconds. The car’s top speed, in turn, is limited electronically to 250 km/h or 155 mph.
The exceptionally good balance of performance and fuel economy is clearly confirmed by average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of just 8.9 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 31.7 mpg imp. And at the same time the CO2 rating of the BMW 535i Gran Turismo is just 209 grams per kilometre.
Eight-cylinder with BMW TwinPower Turbo and High Precision Injection.
The top engine in the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is a unique V8 combining TwinPower Turbo technology with High Precision Injection. Displacing 4.4 litres, this outstanding power unit develops maximum output of 300 kW/407 hp in a speed range from 5,500–6,400 rpm. Peak torque, in turn, is 600 Newton-metres/442 lb-ft generated all the way from 1,750 to 4,500 rpm.
This unparalleled V8 is the most efficient engine of its type and, at the same time, the world’s only gasoline engine with the turbocharger and catalytic converters arranged within the V-section between the two rows of cylinders.
The BMW 550i Gran Turismo accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in just 5.5 seconds, with top speed limited electronically to 250 km/h or 155 mph. Average fuel consumption of the BMW 550i Gran Turismo in the EU test cycle, in turn, is 11.2 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 25.2 mpg imp, while CO2 emissions are 263 grams per kilometre.
Efficiency and pulling power: latest generation of diesel technology.
The straight-six diesel in the BMW 530d Gran Turismo clearly presents the latest state of the art in BMW engine development. Displacing 3.0 litres, this ultra-modern power unit comes with an all-aluminium crankcase, its turbocharger system with variable intake geometry providing a highly dynamic but smooth flow of power tailored harmoniously to current driving conditions.
Fuel is supplied by the latest generation of common-rail fuel injection using piezo-injectors operating at a maximum pressure of 1,800 bar. In practice, this means engine output of 180 kW/245 hp at 4,000 rpm, with peak torque of 540 Newton-metres/398 lb ft from just 1,750 rpm.
The BMW 530d Gran Turismo accelerates to 100 km/h in just 6.9 seconds and reaches a top speed of 240 km/h or 149 mph. This sporting performance comes together with average fuel consumption of just 6.5 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 43.5 mpg imp) in the EU test cycle. And the CO2 rating of the BMW 530d Gran Turismo, finally, is just 173 grams per kilometre.
Innovative, dynamic, efficient: eight-speed automatic transmission featured as standard.
All model variants come as standard with the eight-speed automatic transmission so far available only in the twelve-cylinder BMW 760i luxury performance saloon. This new transmission combines gearshift comfort, sportiness and efficiency of a standard never seen before, serving to an even greater extent to reduce fuel consumption and emissions to a level even lower than with BMW’s six-speed automatic transmissions used so far.
The new eight-speed automatic transmission excels through its innovative gearset configuration providing additional gears and an even wider range of gear increments without any negative effect on the size, weight, and inner efficiency of the system.
All variants of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo come as standard with BMW EfficientDynamics, the various technologies offered varying from one model to the other according to its particular character. Among other features, Brake Energy Regeneration, on-demand control of the car’s ancillary units such as the electrical coolant pump, the electrical steering assistance pump, the map-controlled oil pump and the detachable a/c compressor, as well as ¬consistent lightweight technology, optimised aerodynamics including active management and control of the air flaps and, finally, tyres with minimum roll resistance ensure optimum fuel economy and emission management.
Cutting-edge suspension technology for even greater comfort, dynamism, and precision.
The modern suspension technology of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo serves to ensure a wonderful motoring experience, driving supremacy and outstanding safety at all times and under all conditions. One of the features that makes this possible is the combination of a double track control arm front axle and an Integral-V rear axle. In addition, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo comes as standard with air suspension on the rear axle, 18- and, respectively, 19-inch light-alloy wheels (the latter on the BMW 550i Gran Turismo), and a high-performance brake system.
DSC Dynamic Stability Control, finally, also comprises an electromechanical parking brake with its own Auto-Hold function.
As an alternative to hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with Servotronic featured as standard, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is available as an option with Integral Active Steering featured for the first time on the new BMW 7 Series. As function of road speed, this unique steering influences steering forces by way of Servotronic and the steering angle by means of the Active Steering Transmission on the front axle.
Integral Active Steering also controls the steering angle on the rear wheels, thus giving the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo even greater agility in city traffic and ensuring extremely smooth and superior lane change and handling in bends also at high speeds.
Optional for even greater dynamics and additional comfort: Adaptive Drive.
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is available as an option with Adaptive Drive combining electronically controlled dampers and active anti-roll stabilisation. These highly innovative dampers adjust individually both to road conditions and the driver’s style of motoring in order to prevent any undesired movement of the car.
BMW is the world’s first car maker to use a damper system with the adjustment of the inbound and rebound strokes in a continuous, independent process. At the same time active anti-roll bars on the front and rear axle reduce body sway in bends to an absolute minimum, thus providing an even higher standard of comfort and agility.
Featured as standard: Dynamic Drive Control for individual set-up of the car according to current requirements.
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo comes as standard with Dynamic Drive ¬Control for an individual set-up of the car in all its main features. This high-tech system influences the progressive curve on the gas pedal, engine response, the map control line for steering assistance, the gearshift dynamics on the eight-speed automatic transmission, and the response thresholds of DSC Dynamic Stability Control.
Dynamic Drive Control is activated by a button on the centre console directly next to the gear selector lever. Using this toggle function, the driver is able to choose among the NORMAL, SPORT, and SPORT+ modes. In combination with Adaptive Drive, the system also serves to control the damper curves by way of Dynamic Drive Control, in this case providing the additional COMFORT mode as a further option.
Innovative in design and construction: aluminium doors and panorama glass roof.
Apart from the engine compartment lid and the front spring struts on the body, the doors on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo are also made of aluminium. Serving as an outstanding design and construction feature, they reduce the overall weight of the car by 28 kg or 62 lb. And as a further highlight the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is the first large-scale production car from BMW to feature frameless windows in aluminium shell structure.
The panorama glass roof available as an option on the BMW 5 Series Gran ¬Turismo provides an even brighter and, at the same time, more spacious ambience throughout the interior. Measuring 116 centimetres or 45.6" in length and 94.2 centimetres or 37.1" in width, the panorama glass roof provides an opening of up to 44 centimetres or 17.3". With the rear glass section bolted firmly to the body of the car, body stiffness is enhanced accordingly for even smoother driving conditions.
Optimum occupant safety on all seats.
Extra-strong load-bearing structures, generously dimensioned and exactly defined deformation zones, as well as highly efficient restraint systems masterminded by high-performance control electronics set the standard for the high level of passive safety the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo has to offer. To optimise passive pedestrian safety, in turn, both the engine compartment lid and the side panels give way individually in the event of a collision.
Over and above frontal and hip/thorax airbags, the car’s standard safety features include curtain head airbags at the side, three-point inertia-reel airbags with belt force limiters, ISOFIX child seat fastenings at the rear and, on the front seats, belt latch tensioners as well as crash-activated headrests.
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is available as an option with bi-xenon headlights. The Adaptive Headlights likewise available as an option ensure appropriate illumination of the road ahead, following bends and winding roads in a flexible line.
The Bending Light function is integrated in the headlights, while a ¬further feature of the Adaptive Headlights is variable light distribution for ¬optimum ¬illumination of the road ahead also when driving straight ahead.
BMW ConnectedDrive and the most advanced driver assistance systems.
A number of features coming either as standard or as an option on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo are exclusive developments offered only by BMW. The leadership in technology BMW has to offer comes out, inter alia, in the cockpit and climate control featuring Black Panel technology, the iDrive control system complete with direct selection buttons, the unique range of optional navigation and audio systems with a hard disc memory, the Head-Up Display as well as the exceptional choice of innovative driver assistance systems.
The options for exchanging information among the driver, his car and the surroundings provided by BMW ConnectedDrive are equally unique. And last but certainly not least, the range of mobility services providing traffic information, an emergency call function, vehicle, enquiry and office services, travel and leisure-time planning facilities as well as internet connections is again unparalleled the world over.
The driver assistance systems provided by BMW ConnectedDrive ensure maximum supremacy and safety on the road. These include the High-Beam Assistant, Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning and Speed Limit Info. The new generation of BMW Night Vision able to detect individual persons in the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo, in turn, sets new standards in avoiding accidents while driving at night.
The wide range of features offered as standard, regular equipment include cruise control complete with a brake function, while Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go comes as an option, maintaining a consistent distance from the vehicle ahead by intervening in drive management and building up brake pressure whenever required.
Keeping a close eye on everything: PDC Park Distance Control, Back-Up Camera, Side View and Top View.
The new BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo comes as standard with PDC Park Distance Control at the rear, with PDC available at the front as an optional extra. This is supplemented by a Back-Up Camera, with Side View and Top View also available as an option. Side View uses two cameras integrated in the front wheel arches enabling the driver to check out traffic coming from the side at an early point. Top View provides an even more detailed overview of road conditions with the help of two additional cameras integrated in the rear-view mirrors.
Data provided by the Side View cameras, by the Back-Up Camera and the PDC sensors on the vehicle and its surroundings is processed by a central computer generating an overall image presented in the Control Display and showing both the car and its surroundings from a bird’s eye perspective.
Automatic air conditioning and personal entertainment for your individual well-being.
Featured as standard, automatic air conditioning in the BMW 5 Series Gran ¬Turismo is controlled in all its settings by an array of buttons on the centre console. This allows the driver and front passenger to set the temperature, the amount and the distribution of air via the control unit on the climate control panel, individually for the right- and left-hand side of the car.
Four-zone automatic air conditioning standard in the BMW 550i Gran Turismo and coming as an option on the other model variants also allows individual adjustment of temperature, air volume and distribution at the rear left and right and comes complete with a separate control unit on the rear centre console.
Likewise featured as standard on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo, the audio system boasts both a CD player and an AUX-In port. A hard disc memory, in turn, makes the optional navigation system Professional particularly easy and convenient to use. With its capacity of 80 GB, the memory allows particularly fast access to the digital navigation maps and offers no less than 12 GB additional capacity for a large collection of music files.
Optional features include a six-DVD changer, a TV module, and a Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) receiver.
The entertainment systems available on the rear seats of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo with their 8 and, respectively, 9.2-inch screens integrated in the backrests of the front seats ensure particularly comfortable and pleasant motoring.
Hands-free communication thanks to full integration of mobile phones and Smartphones.
The optional mobile phone preparation kit complete with a Bluetooth interface allows additional safety and superior comfort in making telephone calls while driving. A snap-in adapter including a USB port comes as yet a further option for the full integration of Smartphones with an MP3 function. Using this option, the driver and passenger are able to use both the communication and entertainment functions of their mobile phone and mastermind all functions via iDrive.
To provide even greater transport capacity, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is available with a towbar moving in and out fully automatically by means of a switch in the luggage compartment. So operating the towbar manually, with the risk of getting dirty in the process, is now a thing of the past. Maximum trailer load is 2,100 kg or 4,630 lb.
With its unique body concept, a truly luxurious interior ambience, superior drivetrain and suspension technology, and innovative equipment features, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo offers exactly the right standard of modern mobility in our modern times. It fulfils the demands and expectations of motorists looking for a generous driving experience, appreciating an exclusive ambience, and enjoying the benefits of a variable interior. In a nutshell, therefore, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo presents the status and elegant style of an upper midrange model in an individual rendition oriented to the user’s personal requirements.