- Brand’s new SUV design language gives Audi Q5 stronger identity
- SQ5 models now feature available OLED lighting technology
- Updated design, infotainment just some of the 2021 Q5 model line highlights, on sale in the fourth quarter
Combining sporty driving performance and SUV versatility, the 2021 Audi Q5 model line continues to set a new standard in the luxury SUV segment. The updated Q5 models, including the plug-in hybrid Q5 as well as the SQ5, combine sharper design with excellent every day usability and offer a larger array of infotainment and driver assistance features to cement their position as the brand’s bestselling SUV lineup.
Refined exterior design
The 2021 Q5 model line has been updated to feature the brand’s new SUV design language. The octagonal Singleframe® grille is now thinner and wider than its predecessor and the side air intakes are taller with sporty trapezoidal inserts. From the profile, the Q5 has a lighter look thanks to the redesigned side sill. At the rear of the vehicle is a new trim element connecting the taillights and a new horizontal diffuser insert.
The Q5 45 TFSI model comes standard with the Advanced line exterior, which includes vertical chrome strips in the grille and silver accents in the front and rear bumpers. The Q5 PHEV model comes standard with the S line exterior which includes a sportier honeycomb structure in the Singleframe® grille and a more aggressive front and rear diffuser design. The SQ5 offers an available black optic package, which adds matte black roof rails, high-gloss black exterior mirror housings and black exterior accents along with 20” 5-V-spoke-star design wheels in bi-color finish with summer tires (all-season 20” tires optional).
Two of the available paint colors are new – District Green and Ultra Blue, and both are offered the Q5 PHEV and SQ5 variants.
Additional exterior highlights include:
- Q5 models receive standard 18” 5-arm-star design wheels, or available 19” 5-double-arm design wheels in bi-color finish, or 20” 5-arm-design wheels.
- PHEV models receive standard 19” 5-double-spoke-star design or available 20” 5-double-spoke star design wheels in bi-color finish.
- The Q5 PHEV also offers an available Sport plus package which includes adaptive air suspension, 20” 10-spoke-star design wheels in platinum finish with summer tires, front sport seats, S line leather/Dinamica seats, black headliner, and brushed aluminum inlays.
- SQ5 models receive standard 20” 10-spoke-star-design wheels in platinum finish with summer tires (all-season 20” tires optional).
- New for 2021 SQ5 models, customers can choose 21” 5-arm-polygon design wheels with summer tires, or as an upgrade to the Black optic package, 21” 5-V-spoke-offset design wheels in bi-color finish with summer tires.
- Exclusive for the SQ5 is an available Audi accessories sport exhaust with quad hot pipes and increased exhaust note (available as a port installed accessory or can be purchased through an Audi dealer).
New for 2021, all Q5 models come standard equipped with LED headlights which include a unique daytime running light signature (DRL), and LED taillights with dynamic turn signals. At the top of the range are the matrix-design LED headlights (standard on Prestige trims) with dynamic front turn indicators and feature leaving and coming home animations. Fast-moving lights play in the headlights and taillights when the vehicle is locked or unlocked, emphasizing the vehicle’s dynamics and lighting technology while standing still.
SQ5 models also offer next-generation OLED lighting technology. OLEDs are extremely efficient organic light-emitting diodes that generate a homogenous light surface. The OLED taillight on SQ5 models (standard on Prestige) is split into three tiles of six segments each, which enables Audi designers and developers to create different light designs and signatures from a single item of hardware.
Interior design and infotainment
The interior of the new Q5 models includes greater attention to detail through functional refinements and additional driver focused technologies. Horizontal lines dominate the interior leading to the large 10.1 inch MMI® touchscreen (1,540 x 720 pixels) which serves as the focal point of the dashboard. This MMI® is backed by the all-new MIB 3 infotainment system which delivers drivers a better overall user experience through faster processing speeds and higher graphical resolution.
Additional interior refinements include new walnut wood inlays and leather seating surfaces, now with contrast stitching, as well as standard high-gloss black interior trim elements. On SQ5 models, electronic steering column adjustment is now standard.
Additional infotainment features include:
- Available second-generation Audi virtual cockpit plus featuring a 12.3-inch display that offers HD resolution of 1920 x 720 pixels. The driver can choose between three viewing modes – classic, sport and dynamic. On SQ5 models, sport mode replaces the classic mode as the default view, and an S Performance mode is added, which brings the tachometer and the speedometer to the front and center of the display and allows for customizable displays to the left and right of the screen.
- Standard Audi smartphone interface provides access to wireless Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto for compatible devices.
- The Integrated Toll Module (ITM) is now standard on all Q5 models. The ITM is a toll transponder built into the vehicle's rearview mirror, allowing drivers to access compatible toll road services in the U.S. and in parts of Canada.
- Available Bang & Olufsen sound system with 3D sound delivers nearly true-to-life surround sound through 19 speakers, including a subwoofer and center speaker, and a 16-channel amplifier producing an output of 705 watts.
New for the 2021 model year, the Q5’s 2.0-liter TFSI® engine receives a 13 horsepower increase and a 12v mild-hybrid electric vehicle system to deliver 261 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque, and now sprints from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds, a reduction of 0.2 seconds. The PHEV model is also equipped with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder TFSI® engine coupled with an electric motor that sits between the engine and transmission, producing a total combined system output of 362* horsepower and 369* lb-ft of torque, and sprints from 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. The Q5 and Q5 PHEV’s four-cylinder engine is mated to a seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch transmission and quattro® all-wheel drive.
The SQ5 carries over the 3.0-liter TFSI® V6 engine which produces 349 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque, now allows the SUV to sprint from 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds, 0.4 seconds quicker than the 2020 model. The eight-speed Tiptronic® transmission is well suited for the low-end torque of the turbocharged V6 and its eight gears provide quick, smooth shifts. The SQ5 also comes standard equipped with adaptive dampers and offers an available air suspension which allows for adjustment of the ride height in addition to the firmness of the dampers, controllable via the standard Audi drive select. Available dynamic steering offers a variable steering ratio that adjusts based on vehicle speed and the Audi drive select setting.
Advanced driver assistance features
The Q5 model line brings a full suite of newly standard and available driver assistance features, designed to help drivers confidently navigate the road and traffic.
Driver assistance features include:
- Standard Audi side assist provides blind spot monitoring via LED indicators on the exterior mirror housings at speeds above 9 mph.
- Standard Lane departure warning helps keep the driver within the driving lane, if the lane is about to be departed, through corrective steering intervention and adjustable wheel vibration at speeds above 40 mph.
- Standard Audi pre sense rear (as part of Audi side assist) uses radar sensors in the rear bumper to help detect an impending rear-end collision, and can initiate preventative measures.
- Standard Parking system plus helps make parking easier with front and rear proximity acoustic parking sensors, when the vehicle is in both reverse and drive, at speeds under 6 mph.
- Standard Rear cross traffic assist (as part of Audi side assist and parking system plus) supports the driver when reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. Indicator arrows in the MMI® display can help inform the driver of approaching vehicles, and in critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied, prompting the driver to fully stop the vehicle.
- Available Adaptive cruise control with Traffic Jam assist (now standard on Premium Plus trim levels) assists the driver with acceleration and braking, maintaining speed and following distance between speeds of 0-95 mph and during traffic jam situations between speeds of 0-40 mph.
- Available Top view camera system (now standard on Premium Plus trim levels) uses four wide-angle 360-degree cameras to display the entire area surrounding, projected on the MMI® screen, allowing the driver to “see” around the vehicle to help with maneuvering in tight spaces.
Model year 2021 Audi Q5 starting manufacturer suggested retail prices:
|Q5 45 TFSI quattro||$43,300||$48,100||$54,000|
|Q5 55 TFSI e quattro||$51,900||$55,800||$61,700|
*Prices above exclude destination charge, taxes, titles, options and dealer chargers. Dealer sets actual price.